Island Packers Cruises
Cruising the California Channel Islands for Education, Recreation and Research since 1968
Prisoners Harbor-Santa Cruz Island Day Trip
Day Trip Fares
Adult 13-54 years of age $59.00
Child 3-12 years of age $41.00
Senior 55 years of age and up $54.00
Infant 2 years of age and under $00.00
Must be Reserved
The channel crossing is approximately 1 ½ hours to Prisoners Harbor (crossing may take longer depending on the drop off at Scorpion Anchorage) which is located midway along the North shore of Santa Cruz Island. The harbor area is the border of the National Park and the Nature Conservancy Property.
Harbor/Wetland Area – Relax in the shade of a eucalyptus grove while enjoying a picnic lunch. Snorkel or kayak in the calm waters of this protected harbor. Sit on the perimeter of the restored wetland to enjoy a variety of wildlife, including the endemic Island Scrub Jay and Santa Cruz Island Fox. The options are endless!
Eagle Canyon Picnic Area – (0.4 miles one way) – Enjoy a brief walk up the Navy Road to a picnic area that has beautiful views of Prisoner’s Harbor.
Del Norte Trailhead – (1.3 miles one way) – Take a longer walk to the campground trail head, where the picnic area faces Chinese Harbor and the mainland beyond
South Side Overlook – (2.5 miles one way) – For the more adventurous, this uphill climb will leave you breathless with awe at the incredible panoramic view. On a clear day, you can see San Nicholas Island, Santa Barbara Island, and Santa Catalina Island out to the south.
Island visitors can take a moderate to strenuous Island Packer Naturalist guided hike along the Pelican Bay Trail.
This rocky trail travels along coast bluffs, through groves of pine and oak trees and through multiple deep canyons, offering scenic views and an occasional endemic island fox.
What to Bring for the Best Day
- Pack food,drinks and water (no potable water) for your time on the island. A small cooler with a single handle or a back pack will help to protect your food from the birds and other wildlife.
- While there are shaded areas at this location, we still suggest sun screen and a hat that will help to protect you from UV that is present even on overcast days.
- Weather conditions can change rapidly in the Santa Barbara Channel and it is always best to dress in layers and bring a jacket along (even in the summer months).
- Flat shoes with rubber soles are best for both the boat and the island. We recommend hiking shoes/sandals or sneakers. We suggest that you do not wear loose or leather soles sandals or flip flops on your island adventure.
- Camera and binoculars will add to your trip and this island offers some spectacular photo opportunities.Maecenas scelerisque massa sit amet molestie congue
- Please arrive at your harbor of departure 30-45 minutes before your scheduled mainland departure time. Island Packers does not hold the boat for late arriving passengers, Don't miss the boat.